Síguenos en Redes

Selecciona tu Idioma

Student Visa in Spain

Vivre à Valencia - Visa

Tabla de Contenidos


In this article, we provide a guide of the student visa in Spain with the step by step process on how to obtain it. 

This visa allows students who have been accepted into a Spanish university to reside in Spain for more than 90 days.


1. What is the student visa in Spain?

The student visa is a residence permit that allows citizens of non-European Union countries to enter, reside and study in Spain for a period of more than 90 days. If the stay is less than three months, citizens of countries exempted from the visa obligation to enter in the Schengen area do not need to obtain a visa.

If you plan to enroll in professional training, master’s, doctorate or bachelor’s degree in both the public and private sectors, you will need to apply for a student visa.


2. What are the conditions to be met to be eligible for this student visa in Spain?

There are several requirements to be met in order to have a successful application:

  • Not be a citizen of a country of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland.
  • Not be banned from entering Spain and not be in an irregular situation in the country.
  • Have sufficient economic resources to meet your needs for the duration of your stay.
  • Have public or private medical insurance with full coverage in Spain.
  • Have been admitted to an accredited educational center in Spain for the completion of a full-time program leading to a diploma or study certificate.
  • Have paid the corresponding visa fees.
  • In the case of minors unaccompanied by their parents or legal guardian, their authorization is required, with proof of the center, organization, entity and organization responsible for the activity and the expected duration of the stay.

If the stay is longer than six months, it will also be necessary:

  • Have no criminal record
  • Not suffer from any disease that may have consequences for public health in accordance with the provisions of the International Health Regulations of 2005.


3. Which documents must be submitted to the Consulate?

You will need to present the following documents to the Spanish Consulate:

  • Visa application form
  • Your valid passport with a minimum validity of one year 
  • Proof of sufficient financial means to meet your needs. The amount needed is calculated according to the IPREM (Indicador Público de Renta de Efectos Múltiples) an index calculating the minimum income that a person must earn to be entitled to the various public benefits. You must prove that you have 100% of the IPREM, unless you can demonstrate that you have paid your accommodation in advance.
  • For minors the authorization of parents or guardians indicating the center, organization, entity and body responsible for the activity and the expected duration of the stay.
  • Proof of having taken out private or public health insurance duly authorized to act in Spain
  • Admission card issued by your education center
  • Visa fee

For stays longer than 6 months:

  • Medical certificate proving that you do not suffer from any recognized disease preventing you from entering Spain
  • Extract from the criminal record, issued within the last 3 months by the authorities of the country or countries where you have resided during the last 5 years

Finally, it is important to note that all documents not initially written in Spanish must be translated by a sworn translator. Some documents must also be legalized.


4. How to apply for a student visa?

Once you have gathered all the necessary documents, you will have the choice between 3 options to complete your visa application. This may vary depending on your consulate.


A- In person from your home country

With an appointment, you can go to the Spanish Consulate of the country where you apply. In this case, the request can only be made by the person concerned or his legal representative if (s)he is a minor. Some consulates also accept representation by a third party.

After submitting your file, you will receive a response from the government within a month. You will then have to collect your visa personally at the Consulate and can enter Spain during its period of validity.


B- In person from Spain

If you are already in Spain on a long-term visa, tourist visa or other authorization allowing you to legally reside in the country, you can apply for the student visa without returning to your home country. For this, you will need to make an appointment with the local immigration office to present your documentation. This must be done no later than 30 days before the end of your initial residence permit.

It is also possible to be represented by a third party.


C- By Internet

If you have a digital certificate, you can submit your request online via the Mercurio platform.


5. What is the duration of a student visa in Spain?

The duration of the visa obtained is equal to the duration of the studies, with a maximum duration of one year.

If your studies last more than a year, you can apply for an extension of the visa at the immigration office within 60 days before the expiry of your initial residence permit.


6. Obtain the TIE

If your visa is valid for longer than 6 months, you will need to apply for the TIE (Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero) within one month of your arrival in Spain. The application is made at the immigration office or at the police station of your place of residence.


7. What are the advantages of the student visa in Spain?

In addition to being able to come and study in Spain, the student visa also offers certain advantages to those who apply for it. Let’s see the 2 most important ones.


A- Enter Spain with your family

The student visa allows you to bring your family over the duration of your studies in Spain. Family means spouse or child under 18 or with a disability.

You will need to prove your relationship and also to show higher economic ressources (75% additional IPREM for the first member of the family and 50% additional for any other).


B- Work with a student visa in Spain

It is possible to work while having your student visa. To do so, you can obtain the corresponding work permit (as an employee or as self employed) and ensure that:

  • Work is compatible with your studies
  • The income obtained is not part of the economic resources necessary to subsidize your needs

Note that your work permit can be granted for a full-time or part-time contract:

  • Part-time: the contract may not exceed 20 hours per week in order to remain compatible with your studies
  • Full-time: the contract cannot last more than 3 months and cannot coincide with your studies


8. Our services

At Vivre à Valencia, we can provide you with personalized assistance during your application for a student in Spain as well as obtaining your TIE and registering with the town hall. We assess your situation and provide guidance on every step of the process.

Do not hesitate to contact us for more information.

Share on facebook
Share on facebook
Share on facebook

Deja un comentario