How to get a TIE in Spain?

Démarches pour la TIE en Espagne pour expatrié francophone

Tabla de Contenidos


In this article we are going to introduce the TIE, also called Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero. We will see who is affected by this document and how to obtain it.


1. What is the Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero (TIE)?

The TIE is a personal and non-transferable card that concerns only non-European Union citizens.

This document allows to identify its holder and to attest to his legal residence in Spain.


2. What are the conditions to apply for a TIE?

This document can only be issued to foreigners in a legal situation in Spain in accordance with the laws and regulations in force. To this end, you must have first obtained a visa or an authorization to reside in Spain for a period of more than 6 months.


3. When do I need a TIE?

The TIE must be requested by all citizens from outside the European Union who plan to reside in Spain for more than six months. Persons holding a residence and seasonal work authorization permit are exempt.

This card must be obtained within one month of entering Spain or when authorization is granted.

The TIE is valid as long as the residence authorization which justified its obtention is also valid. Consequently, the card will lose its validity at the same time as the loss of the right to reside in Spain.

Once the validity of the card has expired, whether you want to renew it or your right to reside in Spain ends, you must return this document to the Police Station.


4. How do I get my TIE?

A. Book a cita previa

The request to obtain the TIE must be made directly by the person concerned. To this end, it is necessary to make an appointment at the Oficina de los Extranjeros or at the Police Station. Here is the link.

On the day of your cita previa, you will have to go to the Oficina de los Extranjeros or to the Police Station (the address is specified during the cita previa request) with all the necessary documents in order to receive your Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero.


B. The documents to present

To get your TIE, the following documents are necessary:

  • The EX-17 form and its duplicate previously completed and signed 
  • The proof of payment of administrative costs : Tasa Modelo 790-012 
  • Three recent color photographs on a white background (passport size)
  • Proof of social security affiliation and / or registration, if applicable
  • Visa if applicable
  • Authorization of residence in Spain


If you still have questions about the Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero, you can contact us at [email protected]We will help you obtain this document by guiding you through the various steps to take and by accompanying you on the day of the appointment.


Source :

Share on facebook
Share on facebook
Share on facebook

Deja un comentario