In this article we are going to introduce the NIE, also called Número de Identidad de Extranjero. We will see who needs this document and how to obtain it.
1. What is the NIE?
The NIE (Foreigner Identification Number) is a unique and personal document that allows the Spanish government to identify each individual who doesn’t have Spanish nationality. It’s the equivalent of our ID card. Unlike what we can see in some blogs, this document does not mean that you are resident in Spain as for that, you will need to obtain the Certificate of Register of Citizens of the European Union or the TIE.
The only requirement to get a NIE is not to be in Spain in an irregular situation.
2. Why do I need a NIE?
The NIE is the most useful document in Spain as you will need it for all procedures involving financial, professional or social activities. Below are some of the most common :
- Be legally employed
- Be self-employed
- Open a bank account
- Buy or sell a property
- Buy or sell a vehicle
- Access social security
- Pay taxes
- Purchase an insurance
3. What documents are required to obtain the NIE?
To be able to obtain the NIE, the following documents are necessary:
- The NIE application form (EX-15) and its duplicate previously completed and signed: https://sede.policia.gob.es/portalCiudadano/extranjeria/EX15.pdf
- The original passport and its copy
- The communication of the professional, social or economic causes that justify the request (for example a purchase of a home or a new job)
- The completed Tasa Modelo 790-012 form https://sede.policia.gob.es/Tasa790_012/ which will allow you to pay the administration fees (which are currently 9.74€). Proof of payment must be provided on the day of the NIE request.
4. Where do I apply for my NIE?
a. If you are already in Spain
First thing to do is to book an online appointment (cita previa) through the following link: https://sede.administracionespublicas.gob.es/icpplus/index.html Otherwise you won’t be served.
Make sure you book the appointment in the provincia where you have your address. You will notice that it can be difficult to get an appointment as there are only a few availabilities. If no cita previa is available, be patient and try several times a day.
b. If you are abroad
If you are abroad but require the NIE for whatever reason, you can go to the nearest Spanish consulate. The process remains the same and you will also need to book a cita previa. However, the NIE you will get is only valid for 3 months. So if you are going to reside in Spain, you will need to renew your application in Spain once you live there.
5. Who can present the NIE?
The NIE can be requested by:
- The individual concerned
- By a duly accredited representative
Vivre à Valencia can help you obtain your NIE by guiding you through the various steps and by accompanying you on the day of the appointment. You can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
6. When will I receive the NIE?
The NIE is issued the same day by the national police on an A4 sheet of paper, on which appears your details (name, first name, date of birth, nationality) and your NIE number.