How to homologate or validate foreign academic studies in Spain ?

Démarches pour l'homolagation d'études en Espagne

Tabla de Contenidos


If you have obtained a non university diploma/certificate abroad and want to come to study in Spain, this post is for you. We explain how to homologate and have your diplomas recognized in Spain.


1. What is the homologation and the validation of a foreign diploma in Spain?

The “homologación de título” is the academic recognition in Spain of a diploma obtained abroad.

For example, if you obtained your high school diploma in the United States and wish to continue your studies in Spain, you will need to homologate your diploma so that it is valid in the Spanish education system.

The “convalidación parcial de estudios” or partial validation of studies is for students who started their studies abroad and who want to finish them in Spain. The validation acts as an exemption from completing the school years that have already been validated.

For example, if you started high school abroad and want to obtain your high school diploma in Spain, you will need to validate the years that have already been completed.


2. What are the diplomas or non-university studies that can be homologated in Spain?

The diplomas or studies that can be homologated in Spain are the following:

  • Educación Secundaria Obligatoria (12 to 16 years old)
  • Bachillerato (high school)
  • Vocational schools

Within each of these categories are specialties. Depending on which diploma you need to homologate or validate, you will be required to present the corresponding documents.


3. What are the requirements to meet before homologating your studies in Spain?

In order to homologate your diploma in Spain, the following conditions must be met:

  • The studies are official in the country of origin.
  • The studies are completed in the country of origin.
  • All previous school years are validated.
  • There is an equivalence with Spanish studies both academically and in content and duration.


4. Which documents are required?

The following documents are required in order to submit the homologation application:

  1. The original passport and its photocopy (or a certified photocopy if the homologation is done by a representative).
  2. Original diploma that certifies the completion of studies.
  3. Original academic transcripts that justifies the validated school years, the subjects studied, the grades and the different academic years.
      • For the homologation of the Educación Secundaria Obligatoria (ESO), academic transcripts of the last four academic years are needed.
      • For the homologation of the Bachiller, the last three years are needed.
      • For the validation of the “Primero de Bachiller”, the last three years are needed.
  4.  The homologation or validation application form previously completed : 
  5. In case you want the “volante de inscripcion condicional”, the following form previously completed :  
  6. Proof of payment of the administrative fees (Tasa Modelo 790-107).
  7. Where applicable, the power of attorney allowing a representative to present the request on your behalf.


5. How to legalize your documents and in which cases is it necessary?

It is important to take into account that as the studies are carried out abroad, the documents must be official, legalized and translated. This will allow the Spanish Ministery to certify the authenticity of these documents.

However, legalizing your documents is not necessary for everyone as it depends on the country in which you received your diploma:

  • Legalization of your documents is not necessary if they come from a member state of the European Union, the European Economic Area or Switzerland.
  • Legalization of your documents by Apostille of the Hague Convention is required for countries that have signed this Convention.
  • Legalization of your documents through diplomatic channels is necessary for any document coming from another country.


6. How to translate your documentation ?

Any document that is not written in Spanish must be accompanied by an official translation into Spanish. Depending on where you reside, this can be done by:

  • A sworn translator registered in Spain.
  • The Spanish Embassy or Consulate abroad.
  • The Embassy or Consulate of the country issuing the document in Spain.
  • A sworn translator abroad if his signature is legalized.


7. Where do you submit all the paperworks?

Once the administrative fees have been paid and all the documents are prepared, it is now time to submit your application to the Ministry of Education.

If you are in Spain, you will need to go to the following public register of your Comunidad Autónoma : Alta Inspección de Educación. 

If you are not in Spain, you can appoint a legal representative to submit all documents on your behalf (after granting him a power of attorney). Vivre à Valencia can submit your application on your behalf.

You can also present your documentation to the Ministry of Education of the Spanish Embassy.

Once all the documentation has been delivered, you will receive a receipt with your application number, with which you can check the status of the procedure.


8. Volante de inscripción condicional 

The homologation of your diploma is a process that usually takes between 6 and 12 months.

If you want to enroll in a Spanish school or university and you have not yet homologated your diploma, you can apply for what is called the “volante de inscripción provisional”. The application for this volante is made the same day as the homologation request, and once obtained it will allow you to finalize your registration at the university. Indeed, this volante has the same effects as if the homologation had been granted, but is temporary.

In the event that the homologation or the validation is refused, school registration or the official examinations carried out during this time will not be taken into account.


If you still have questions on how to homologate or validate a foreign diploma in Spain, you can contact us at [email protected]  and we will be happy to help you.

Share on facebook
Share on facebook
Share on facebook

Deja un comentario