On Sunday the 5th of December 2021, the increasingly popular marathon of Valencia returns to the streets of the 3rd biggest city of Spain.
1. One of the fastest marathons in the world
The Valencia Marathon, also called the Trinidad Alfonso EDF Valencia Marathon or Maratón Valencia, takes place every year since 1981 in late November – early December, a season when climatic conditions in Valencia are optimal. With a temperature averaging between 12 and 17 degrees, and an entirely flat circuit, runners from all over the world come to Valencia to try to beat their personal record or just to enjoy one of the most popular sport event.
The 2020 edition reserved for the elites due to the Covid-19 made the Valencia marathon the 3rd fastest in the world after Berlin and London with the victory of the Kenyan Evans Chebet in 2h03min00s.
Each year, the number of participants increases (except for 2020 and 2021 due to the current restrictions) while registrations are sold out very early. In 2020, the event was sold out from February and a waiting list was set up for this event taking place in December.
2. A spectacular course
The organization of the event is particularly well put together with a route that will take you around every corner of the city. The City of Art and Sciences and its futuristic architecture is the central point of this event with a beautiful start and a spectacular finish on the water.
The course also includes a scenic coastal stretch and other sites such as the Mestalla stadium, the historic city center, the Jardin del Turia or again the Palau de la Musica.
Finally, the atmosphere is one of the best with many music groups and spectators cheering you on in “the city of Running”.
3. The Valencia marathon becomes Gold Label
Since 2016, the Valencia marathon also holds the Gold Label distinction awarded by the IAAF and became the first marathon in Spain to receive this award.
In order to receive an IAAF label (Gold, Silver or Bronze), the race and the event must meet a rigorous set of minimum requirements. The requirements are both organizational and sporting and only a few races in the world are awarded of the Gold Label :
- Presence of elite athletes from at least 5 different countries with accredited times under 2h10 for men and 2h28 for women
- Minimum of anti-doping tests for 6 men and 6 women in the event of a world record or other international record
- Lead vehicle at front of race to time elite athletes
- Race distance (42.195km) must be certified by the IAAF
- The course must be closed to all traffic from the first runner starting until the cut off time of the race
- Minimum of 3 pacemakers
- Free refreshments available throughout the route
- Broadcast and streaming of the race to a minimum of 5 different countries
- Giant screen for crowd to follow the race
These strict requirements ensure that every marathon certified with a Gold Label is a world-class organization with exciting races where everyone seeks to break their personal record.
Note that the Valencia half-marathon also has the IAAF Gold Label, which is rare enough for a city to have this double award.
4. Organization sporting trip to Valencia
We offer you different packages for your stay during Valencia Marathon. It also includes the posssibility for family members and friends to travel with you and make the most of the city.
We ensure to organize everything that you can fully focus on the race and/or visiting the city. We run this marathon every year and we would be more than happy to support you in your stay. Contact our team for more information.